Have you ever dreamed about flying like a bird, outside of a metal can with a windshield? Now you have a chance to do it in Microsoft Flight Simulator – take on your suit and prepare for a mind blowing experience!
You can hover like a helicopter, or escort an airliner like a jet fighter. Participate in competitions or fly above cities in VR mount. Your only enemies – small fuel tank and extremely sensitive controls.
Flaps handle is flight mode switch:
- Flap #1 Cruise flight – native flight model only active
- Flap #2 Stabilization – available at the speed less than 100kn, automatics will try to hold you in vertical position, manual control effectiveness also increased
- Flap #3 Hovering – automatics will try to hold you 10 meters above the surface, set throttle to 0% or 100% to avoid controls conflict
- Flap #4 Landing – when you hover above ground, enable to land smoothly
Gears handle – landing parachute, ensure you have at least 500ft altitude above ground
Spoilers handle – helmet display vertical adjustment
Navigation lights switch – aboard attachment toggle (SkyPirat)
Int > End fixed camera (A to toggle)
HOW REAL IS IT?
We are not trying to build a copy of any real aircraft. However, we are trying to make it fly at least somehow realistically for given specifications, in the existing limits of MSFS and our knowledge. Please consider JW1 as an evaluation of simulator capabilities rather than an attempt to create a flight trainer. Any experience you will get with this add-on can’t be used in real life, both for flying or aircraft building.
CURRENT DEVELOPMENT STAGE
Public release! Get latest version, try it out and leave feedback – in comments below or in our Discord. It’s still not finished – you can expect further improvements of: sounds, display symbology, parachute dynamics, aboard quality, body and parachute animation. Some technical limitations exists that we can’t affect anyhow, but they will be solved by MSFS developers with time.
Aircraft Type: wing shaped jetpack
Maximum takeoff weight: 350lbs
Engines: x4 jet 100lbs thrust each
Autonomy: 15 minutes
Max range: 90km
Take off: vertical hovering
Indication: Legacy HUD (SkyTraveler) or Modern HMD (SkyPirat)
Visual effects: downwash, exhaust smoke, ground contact dust, water contact
Startup procedures: simplified (master starter switch)
ANRI flight model, competitions
Got Gravel flight model
Dietmar Loleit GenHUD (SkyTraveler)
maxx2504/Micha flight model
You got fully working aircraft without payment, with full support, without usage time limits. If you like this add-on and wish to continue to use it, please purchase JW1 SkyPirat on SimMarket. You will also unlock some additional features.
|High poly models||✔||✔|
|16k textures + PBR||✔||✔|
|Accurate flight model||✔||✔|
|Avionics symbology||◯ FSX GenHUD||✔ AH64A HMD|
|Aboard any aircraft||✖||✔|
|Landing chute||◯ Round||✔ Ram-air|
How to get JW1 SkyPirat
- purchase on SimMarket
- join testing team in our Discord
- join our Discord as Media Creator (provide some proof)
Official MSFS announce
HOW TO INSTALL?
Unpack folder touchingcloud-aircraft-jw1 into Community directory of MSFS, launch simulator. You can use an add-on installer if you have any.
To install alternative flight model, after main files already installed (previous step), copy content of maxx2504-flight-model into community folder. Alternative FM is more stable and predictable – jetpack will fly like a small plane rather than body attached to the wing. If you feel default one too hard to control – try new one. If you are happy with “challenging” style of default FM – you better stay on it.
HOW TO UNINSTALL?
Delete folder touchingcloud-aircraft-jw1 from Community directory of MSFS, restart simulator.
IS VR/TrackIR SUPPORTED?
Yes, almost. We had an idea of Helmet Mounted Display implementation, which means avionics symbology is always in the middle of the screen. We have succeeded partially – it works with mouse camera controls, with some limitations, but currently MSFS SDK does not provide a way to get VR/TrackIR head rotation data. So by default the symbology screen follows the mouse view, while for head trackers you can use Spoilers axis to control the vertical position of the display manually. Model itself is fully supported by VR, you just need to configure controls for your needs – spoilers, flaps, gears and taxi lights (SkyPirat).
HOW TO FLY?
This is a classic aircraft with longitude engines thrust vector. Only difference – it stands vertically on the ground, like a rocket. Custom avionics perform stabilization during takeoff/taxiing, and also provide control assistance at airspeed less than 100 knots.
Stabilization mode can be switched by FLAPS (hotkey or joystick button) – top position Cruise flight, second – Stabilization, third – Stable hover, last – Landing.
During stabilization or hovering you will hear a variometer sound. But unlike the glider’s variometer, it will notify you about vertical speed rather than total energy. Interval beeping – you are lifting, solid – sinking. Landing and navigation lights will be activated on stabilization toggle automatically, which can be used for indication at third person view camera.
Before takeoff, ensure all engines are running and you have enough fuel for your flight. When the fuel level is less than 10% you will hear a warning sound. This aircraft does not have a realistic startup procedure, just press Ctrl+E to start all engines, or Ctrl+Shift+E to stop. If, for some reason, ignition does not happen after a while, you can simply slew into the air with Y > F4 > Y and engines will be forced into operation state. Check Flight Assistant panel – all AI assistance features should be disabled.
For takeoff, take a vertical position – use a stick to control altitude. Set Flaps to #2 position (Stabilization), increase throttle to maximum and lift off. Slowly push the stick so the wing will get into 45 degrees pitch level and start to speed up slowly. When you reach ~50 knots and get enough altitude, proceed to horizontal flight and prepare to cruise flight – after you reach 100 knots stabilization will be disabled automatically.
To avoid camera shaking during takeoff and hovering, activate Fixed camera – Back (External 1) or Front (External 2). Fixed camera can be enabled by keys Ins > End, key A to toggle views, Ins to disable fixed camera.
During flight beware of stall conditions – human body takes role both of fuselage and control surfaces, rough actions can cause flipping, stalling and crash. If it happened, enable stabilization and try to transit into hover.
Head up display has two modes – two axis controls by mouse and vertical control only by SPOILERS handle. First one is active by default – symbology will follow the center point of the view. This method does not work with VR and TrackIR due technical limitaions! For the second, set SPOILERS HANDLE action in MSFS controls settings (you may need to set Filter to ALL to see it) on some of the joystick axis, now you can move symbology area up and down by this handle. You still can force the first method by pulling the handle in 100% (top) position.
HOW TO LAND?
You have 3 options:
- Landing parachute. Head to the landing area at altitude about 1000ft above ground level, airspeed – 80-100 knots. When you above the landing spot – toggle Gears lever [G]. Drogue chute will be deployed and align you vertically, after a moment main parachute will be opened. You can adjust the heading of the round parachute (SkyTraveler), or have full control of the ram-air parachute (SkyPirat).
* Due to poor simulation of the artificial lift by custom avionics, engines will be forced to provide 50lbs thrust each as a partial lift source. No fuel will be consumed during the landing process.
- Transit into stable hover. Head to the landing site with altitude about 200ft above ground, airspeed 80-100 knots. When you get close enough to the landing spot (about 200 meters) – switch to flaps #3 position. Hovering assistant will increase engines thrust to maximum and transit you into a vertical position. You may apply manual adjustments by stick movements (usually left-right only). When you get into hovering, you will descend slowly until you reach 20ft above ground. At this point a stable hover state will be reached, you can use pitch/bank controls to slowly move around. After you reach the landing spot – set faps to position #4, engines thrust will be slightly decreased and you’ll land smoothly. After touchdown, engines will be set to idle automatically, flaps to #2.
- Manual hovering. Proceed to the airfield like a normal airplane. Keep airspeed around 100-120 knots and altitude at least 500ft, when you reach the airfield – slow down to 80 knots, pull the stick and set flaps handle to position #2. After you align vertically, adjust engines thrust for smooth landing. You can switch to stable hover (flaps #3) for automatic landing.
You are able to get inside of another aircraft, vehicle or any other sim object. Even windsock. To trigger “scanning”, toggle Taxi lights by related hotkey (you need to set it on the controls page), or by common key Toggle lights (you may need to press this one several times). After scanning is activated, you will hear beeping sound and also SCAN label will appear on symbology display.
When you are closer than 10m to the center of some object, you will be “attached” to it by custom avionics, which will mirror carrier velocity and rotation angles to you. Aircraft has priority above pilot models, so if you connected to the pilot of AI airliner – you will be reattached to the aircraft itself automatically. Search radius will be increased to half of the carrier wing span, plus 20% of current airspeed (to hold you attached at high air resistance conditions). However, it is not recommended to choose a carrier with airspeed higher than 200 knots for online player, 300 knots – AI aircraft.
Display symbology label ABRD will appear, fuel level will raise slowly while you are attached.
There is a huge limitation in MSFS – only AI and generic planes visible by SimConnect as aircraft, which provide various avionics data (like velocity), while other online player’s aircraft visible as Pilot models which have only rotation angles and location. So you will experience worse experience while aboard player aircraft compared to AI/generic.
Live traffic and multiplayer planes disappear when you are close enough, while AI generic planes and replace objects stay visible.
|Carrier aircraft type||Smooth movement|
shaking and lagging cause problems
aircraft stay visible when you get close to it
makes attachment possible
improves attachment stability
|AI generic traffic||✔||✔||✔||✔||Best result|
|Live traffic||✔||✖||✔||✔||Hard to get aboard airborne aircraft|
|Recorded flight||✖||✔||✔||✔||Shaking during flight|
|Online player||✖||✖||✔||✖||Worst result|
If you want to leave the carrier – toggle Taxi lights so you will no longer be held by script and proceed to normal flight. If altitude less than 10 meters and airspeed is low – you will be “teleported” on the ground surface to avoid crash triggering.
During scanning, you will see indication of nearby objects on the display (SkyPirat). Indication very inaccurate while hovering or standing on the ground.
- to disable helmet display completely, change HIDE_HUD=0 to HIDE_HUD=1 in all *.FLT files inside of “touchingcloud-aircraft-jw1\SimObjects\Airplanes\jw1” folder with text editor (like Notepad or Notepad++)
- to disable smoke trail, change HIDE_SMOKE=0 on HIDE_SMOKE=2 in *.FLT files; to make smoke simple (trail only) – set HIDE_SMOKE=1
- to hold HUD in the fixed position (in case it disappear from viewpoint) change FIXED_HUD=0 on FIXED_HUD=1. Tracking my mouse or spoiler axis will no longer work.
- stabilization does not work (even when you on the ground, aircraft does not react on stick movement) – WASM script not able to affect game flight model, check that you have no SimConnect.ini file in MyDocuments folder or restart the game in case SimConnect stop to work properly.
- aircraft acting weird during runway cinematic – it may fall down, or fly away; no way to fix it as cinematic script does not support vertical-standing aircraft
- jetpack flip right after takeoff – turn on stabilization by flaps hotkey/button (position #2 for manual take-off, or #3 for automatic)
- jetpack can’t translate into vertical position for landing – ensure your airspeed less than 100 knots, stabilization activated (check previous point), all four engines thrust at lest 50%, control stick in a bottom position
- HUD glass out of sight – configure “spoiler handle” axis in controls settings, use it for HUD vertical position adjustment; or toggle Spoiler with hotkey so display will stick to the center of the screen; press CTRL+SPACE of F key to reset view in case script no longer able to read camera viewpoint angles. Alternative – set FIXED_HUD=1 in FLT files
- camera or aircraft acting crazy while pilot standing on the ground or hovering vertically – game engine don’t expect such aircraft to be positioned vertically (it still an airplane with longitude engines thrust), so pointing to the zenith cause such side effects
Pilot can’t walk or smoothly interact with ground – MSFS does not have proper inverse kinematics support yet, so body animations are baked in 3D editor. It is possible to add any kind of animations but quite hard to make transitions between them. But we are looking for workaround.Basic walking animation added.
- Landing chute not opening – ensure that drag chute stabilize you in vertical position, avoid using control stick before parachute deployed
- Multiplayer or live traffic disappear when you get close to it, which makes aboard less fun. This is sim limitation, vote for the wish if you would like to make it toggle-able
- Aboard feature works really bad with other players aircraft due to sim limitation – WASM script can’t get multiplayer system data (yet, I hope). Wish to speed up the implementation process? Vote!
Jetpack JW1 v0.11.0TEST
- Round chute texture updated
- Pitot heater key as HUD toggle (Shift+H by default)
- Fixed cameras added for easier takeoff and hovering
- HUD indication minor changes
- Nearby aboard targets indication (radar prototype)
- Aboard quality improved
Jetpack JW1 v0.10.0
- new exhaust smokes – individual color for each livery
- new helmet and ram-air parachute textures
- possible to walk on the ground
- parachute deployment moved to Gears Toggle event (G by default)
- alternative flight model by maxx2504/Micha (default files should be overwritten manually)
- flaps #4 perform automatic landing (should be enabled during hovering)
- FIXED_HUD FLT parameter to disable HUD glass movement
- Helmet display freezes after changing time/date
Jetpack JW1 v0.9.12
- helmet model visible in first person view (toggleable by Structural Deice hotkey – H by default)
- flight mode can be switched to stabilization/hover at airspeed higher than 100 knots (you still should slow down to activate new mode)
- new helmet model (no livery textures yet)
- smoke trail updated; new value for HIDE_SMOKE FLT parameter: 0 – complex smoke, 1 – simple smoke, 2 – no smoke
- HUD resolution increased, missing labels added (SkyTraveler)
- HUD glass reflecting strobes
- drogue parachute goes through parachute
Jetpack JW1 v0.9.11TEST
Helmet display symbology changes:
- ladder mask
- ladder lines adjustment
- longitudinal axis mark always stays visible on the screen
- parachute sound always playing
- mixture handle can turn off engines
Jetpack JW1 v0.9.10TEST
- helmet display symbology changes
- smoother throttle controls by hovering assistant
Jetpack JW1 v0.9.9TEST
- if you fall on the ground during hovering, engines will be set to idle, pilot stand up and takeoff automatically
- chute visibility in multiplayer fixes – sometimes it disappear and smoke generated instead, unknown yet is it fixed or not; may cause some chute visibility issues compare to prev version
- engine torque forced to 50 pounds (each) when parachute deployed; no fuel consumption
- engines torque increasing after forward movement during hovering
- slow sliding while standing on the ground fixed – brakes had to be disabled in calm standing, now it slide off the hill or any other non-leveled surface
Jetpack JW1 v0.9.7
- aboard scan radius increasing dynamically during flight to avoid detachment (SkyPirat)
- surface contact effects
- landing parachute animation and sound
- ram-air parachute (SkyPirat)
- exhaust smoke does not appear for another online aircraft
- aboard script connect to the pilot instead of aircraft itself (AI planes) (SkyPirat)
- landing parachute not opening for another online aircraft
- parachute simulation script apply forces during pause/slew
- not possible to deploy parachute at the speed higher than 100 knots (deceleration required)
- fall with over-stress after aboard detachment from high aircraft on the ground (you will be teleported to the ground) (SkyPirat)
Jetpack JW1 v0.9.0
- landing parachute (deployed on last Flaps position, airspeed should be less than 100kn); poorly animated, no sounds
- smoke trail fixed
- elevator effectiveness increased on higher airspeed
- helmet/head appearance in first person view fixed
Jetpack JW1 v0.8.3TEST
- helment mounted display symbology changes and fixes (SkyPirat)
- ribbon exhaust smoke disabled (broken after SU5)
- negative g force not cause end of the game
- 4 LODs (for SU5 compatibility)
- Aboard works both with AI and player planes (SkyPirat)
Jetpack JW1 v0.8.2TEST
- new helmet display symbology (SkyPirat)
- display position synchronized with camera coordinates (smoothness depends on “Glass cockpit refresh rate” setting)
- glowing turbine fans fixed
- roll controls effectiveness increased during stabilization
Jetpack JW1 v0.8.1
Sim Update 5 issues fixed:
- model not visible in cockpit view
- HUD does not appear
- wrong gauges on external view
- dustwash and smokes does not working (ribbon smoke, the one that should stay in the air for a long time, still broken)
- turbine fans are glowing
Feel free to report issues you will find.
Jetpack JW1 v0.8.0
- lowpoly LOD added
- small heat blur at low RPM
- more accurate hands interaction with ground
- smoother landing lights
- model shaking while standing on the ground
- vario sound played while standing on the ground
- overstress ends the flight immediately
- inaccurate turbine fan animation
- wrong engines numeration
- 10% deadzone applied for manual stabilization controls
Jetpack JW1 v0.7.0TEST
- body/engines animation fixes
- HUD modes – control by mouse (spoiler handle 100%) or vertical adjustment only (spoiler handle < 100%)
- custom engines sounds
- low fuel and vario sounds
Jetpack JW1 v0.6.0TEST
- body animation improved: inertia effectiveness changes, hand controls reversed, random head movements and mouse tracking, primitive hands interaction with ground
- 3 additional liveries
- HUD symbology issues fixed
- spoiler axis used for HUD vertical position adjustment
- FLT files altered for take off form parking
Jetpack JW1 v0.5.0TEST
- flight model updated by Got Gravel
- engines thrust increased about 15%
- rudder controls added (no animation yet)
- manual controls effectiveness improved while stabilization enabled
- engines smoke depend on stabilization value (does not appear during hovering)
- HUD/head visibility issues fixed for VR
- issue fixed: aircraft stick to the ground even at full thrust
Jetpack JW1 v0.4.1TEST
- position is static now, for 1st person view – rotate 90deg depending on current stabilization mode
- additional symbology: current mode, fuel amount, radio altitude (if less than 100ft), rotation compensation (so pitch ladder on 0 degree in vertical or horizontal position, in relative modes)
- landing light improved, beacon lights changed on green
Jetpack JW1 v0.4.0TEST
- Flap handle used as stabilization mode switch:
1. Free flight (stabilization on the ground only)
2. Vertical stabilization, toggle landing lights and beacons for indication; turns off automatically at 100kn, before landing – switch flaps to position #2 or #3 manually
3. Stable hover (not simulated yet)
- Smoke color/size adjustments
- Smoke no longer affected by wind due to multiplayer/AI issue (will be restored after issue fix)
- Ground stabilization enabled, model shakes during attempt to alight vertically but at least not lay down
- CG and pilot weight perfectly aligned with engines axis temporarily, for dynamics simplification
- Aileron effectiveness greatly decreased
- Head and helmet disappear automatically when you switch to 1st person view
- Helmet mounted display appear in 1st person view (experimental)
- moments increased for better hovering and flight behavior
Jetpack JW1 v0.3.0TEST
Textures updated, hover stabilization overall improvements, minor model changes
Materials almost finished, geometry haven’t changed much yet as we are working on compatibility with 3D painters
Flight model is minimally realistic, behavior is not perfect (compare to videos) but good enough for testing. Moment of inertia and controls effectiveness will be revised in the future.
Hovering stabilization script has working inertia compensation, so when you in the air – it trying to stop you. Before, pitch/heading compensation were active to force model stand on the ground, but it behave really bad so disabled in this version. When you stand on the ground, use the stick to balance on your feet. Most problematic transition form hovering to horizontal flight – aircraft very unstable, it will be fixed in next update.
No progress with sounds yet, default FSX samples used temporarily.
Effects (downwash and trail) mostly working but still buggy due to effects editor bugs (you can notice trail not always appear, or looks different on other players)
VR technically supported but not much VR-freandly features yet. You can use 1st person view camera but you need to hide pilot head – just toggle parking brake (will happen automatically later), also sort of IHADSS in plans, if technical limitations will be solved.
Jetpack JW1 v0.2.3TEST
- hovering mode – always active on the ground, in the air depending on airspeed (disabled after 50kn reached) and summary engines RPM
- wing model
- pilot model with basic animation
- smoke and downwash effects
- minor flight model changes
- fuel consumption decreased to reach 15 minutes flight time
- ALBATROSS event Jetrace-34-Reunion added (weight shift category)
Jetpack JW1 v0.1TEST
- placeholder models
- basic animation
- exhaust effects
- default FSX sounds
- only horizontal take-off/landing