Microsoft Flight Simulator © Microsoft Corporation. DG Flugzeugbau DG-808S MSFS add-on was created under Microsoft’s “Game Content Usage Rules” using assets from Microsoft Flight Simulator X, and it is not endorsed by or affiliated with Microsoft.
This add-on contain various improvements like modern flight model, upgraded gauges, replaced sounds, updated textures.
Further work will be continued to bring better gauges functionality, visual quality and realistic flight performance.
You can get yourself into the air using invisible engine with limited amount of fuel, or with Kinetic Assistant application – it provide winch and tow functionality. Basic thermals available as well – you can place thermals in your area manually or get hotspots from API server in one click (best coverage in central Europe).
Even if this add-on released under TouchingCloud label, in fact that is community mod – many people involved in development, so it will be fair to list their names (in order of appearance, hope I did not forget anyone):
Flight Simulator X dev team – 3D model
Michael Rossi – flight model, systems
Ian “B21” Lewis – instruments
ANRI – flight model, competitions
David Fairhurst – textures
Emil Jacques Watson – textures
Got Gravel – flight model, systems
Pup Pryde – textures
renderpeople – pilot model
Also many testers and media creators helping us during the process, thanks guys!
HOW TO INSTALL
Automatic installer contain most of required files, so only thing you need to do is select Community path. Exceptions are sound packages – we can’t include any sounds into installer as it will be Microsoft policy violation, so they will be copied by installer from default MSFS aircraft automatically.
- Unpack and launch MSFS_Legacy_DG808S_#.exe file
- Launch installer and choose required option
- Press Next button
- Select Community path (if you have problems with that – read this article https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?21235-Finding-The-MSFS-2020-Community-Folder ). You can’t install add-on in some other folder, or installer will be not able to find file Asobo_VL3.PC.PCK (you will need to copy it into \sound\ manually in this case).
- Press Install, installation process will started
- After installation finished, you can open Readme file
- Launch the game, if all files copied properly, you will find DG808S in the list of your aircraft. Switch to VR livery first of all if you are using VR.
If you have problems with automatic installer (probably your Community stored outside of packages folder?), or you have used manual installer, you have finish installation manually by performing these actions before game launch:
- copy file
\Official\[OneStore or Steam]\asobo-aircraft-vl3\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_VL3\sound\Asobo_VL3.PC.PCK
- copy file
Official\[OneStore or Steam]\asobo-aircraft-vl3\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_VL3\soundai\Asobo_VL3_AI.PC.PCK
HOW TO UNINSTALL
- Launch installer
- Uncheck all options except first one “Remove previous version”
- Select Community folder
- Press “Install” button
NOTES AND ISSUES
In MSFS v1.18 NAV screen display error messages, you can apply quick fix: unpack nav.js file https://msfs.touching.cloud/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/nav.zip into microsoft-dg808s\html_ui\Pages\VCockpit\Instruments\DG808S\nav\ folder and restart the game, it should solve the error
If game hangs on loading near to the end of the progress, ensure you have copied Asobo_VL3.PC.PCK and Asobo_VL3_AI.PC.PCK into aircraft (instructions above)
EXE file of this installer is unsigned, so Windows Defender/some other antivirus software may be triggered. Each update build will be submit into Microsoft Security Intelligence service to make sure it will be not blocked by Windows Defender, but it take days until cloud database, and then your client, will be updated. If you experience such issue – you may try to apply security intelligence manual update following this instruction https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates and then try to run application again.
If you experience “Too long filename” error in installation process, or your Community folder is inside of USERS directory (and as result has really long path name), first of all check that LongPathsEnabled value is equal to “1” in your windows registry https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/ Or you can try to follow manual installation instructions.
If long path name issue still happen, only options left are move Community folder outside of Users directory or use hardlinks, you can find some solutions here.
Remove fuel right after game start if you don’t need it or just press ENGINE button on front panel so light go out
If you want to disable vario tone, turn the knob to the right top of the vario counterclockwise
If you wish to create liveries for this add-on, check layout files and blank livery files
You are able to edit default avionics parameters by changing RUNWAY.FLT file values (in case you are starting flight on the runway). Main variables:
UNITS_IMPERIAL = 100 Imperial / 0 Metric
VARIO_TONE_ACTIVE = 0 vario disabled / 20 muted / 100 max volume
PILOT_TOGGLE = 0 pilot visible / 100 hided
STICK_TOGGLE = 0 control stick visible / 100 hided
CANOPY OPEN = 0 canopy closed / 100 opened
SLIDING_WINDOW = 0 window closed / 100 opened
LIST OF CONFIG FILES CHANGES
by Michael Rossi
empty_weight = 772 ; (pounds)
empty_weight_cg_position = -2.2693, 0.0, 0.00 ; -1.93 (feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from specified datum
station_load.0 = 170, 1, 0, -0.5, TT:MENU.PAYLOAD.PILOT, 1
station_load.1 = 0, 4.6797, 0, 0, TT:FRONT BALLAST
station_load.2 = 0, -1.6797, 0, 0, TT:CG BALLAST
station_load.3 = 0, -7.6797, 0, 0, TT:REAR BALLAST
cruise_lift_scalar = 2 ;
parasite_drag_scalar = 0.5 ;
induced_drag_scalar = 0.5 ;
elevator_effectiveness = 1.0 ;
aileron_effectiveness = 2.0 ;
rudder_effectiveness = 1.0 ;
lift_scalar = 2 ; Scalar coefficient to ponderate global flap lift coef (non dimensioned)
drag_scalar = 0.5 ; Scalar coefficient to ponderate global flap drag coef (non dimensioned)
If you also convert the [AERODYNAMICS] section you must correct the aero_center_lift value which must be (negative) approximately 1/4 of the wing_root_chord variable – IF wing_root_chord = 3.03 ; Feet
aero_center_lift = -0.75 ; -9.5 Init to center CA
ENGINE – Inserted jet engines, to simulate a towing plane, with only 1 gallon of petrol, if you don’t want to use this function just put 0 in the tank variable
Center1 = -1.6797, 0, 0, 1, 0 ; For each tank: Tank position (z longitudinal, x lateral, y vertical) (FEET), total fuel capacity (GALLONS), unusable fuel capacity (GALLONS)
Edited the file – runway.flt – to have the engine ready when you start from the ground and with the brakes already off
SOUND – Used the new MSFS sound of Asobo_VL3.
Inserted the vario sound in the original file – sound.xml – and removed the engine sound, leaving only a sound when the fuel runs out and the engine is switched off, to simulate the sound, of towing release.
TEXTURE – Texture changed – dg808s_t.dds – in the position of the glass, to solve the invisible glass problem from the outside view
UPGRADE INSTRUMENTS DETAILS
by Ian “B21” Lewis
# DG808S B21 Instruments v.44
# SUMMARY USAGE:
The instruments will work fine “out-of-the-box” with the Cambridge Vario auto-switching between CRUISE and CLIMB modes.
Assign a key/button to “TOGGLE BEACON LIGHTS” to manually switch the Cambridge vario to CRUISE or CLIMB.
Assign a key/button to “TOGGLE NAV LIGHTS” (default “Alt-N”?) to select NEXT WAYPOINT in Nav Display (if you have a flightplan loaded).
Assign a key to “TOGGLE CABIN LIGHTS” (default “Alt-T” I think) to show/hide debug readings.
# Nav Instrument / LOADING A FLIGHT PLAN
The Nav Instrument tells you
* the name of the selected waypoint
* a pointer for the direction to go
* the altitude of the waypoint
* the distance (in Km) to go
Flight plans are not essential, but we can use them to define a soaring cross-country task.
If you start the flight with no flight plan loaded, the Nav instrument will populate a single waypoint for your starting position,
calling that ‘HOME’. This isn’t a bad place to start with a launch followed by a glide back to the airport following the Nav
pointer, including in a cross-wind.
If you load a flight plan (before starting the flight) then the Nav Instrument will read that and display the first waypoint. You can
select further waypoints via the hot-key/button assigned to “TOGGLE NAV LIGHTS” (default Alt-N).
You can use ‘Alt-N’ (by default) to step through each waypoint on the Nav Instrument. Technically in MSFS you are toggling the
Nav lights but this is a workaround to enable you to interact with the Nav Instrument.
You can create your own MSFS flight plan with Little Nav Map (or Plan G).
MSFS has it’s own idea for what to do with the ALTITUDES
in your flight plan and this makes those altitudes irrelevant for soaring. If you append “+<altitude feet>” to your waypoint NAME
e.g. “START+4000” then in this example the Nav Instrument will display 4000 (feet) for the “START” waypoint. This will be more
important if/when I add ‘estimated arrival height’ as a function of the Nav instrument.
An example Mifflin_Day1.pln MSFS flight plan for a soaring task is included.
Set the wind for 315 degrees / 17 knots / no gusts. This is harder than it sounds so ask the FB ground if you’re unsure.
# Winter Vario
The Winter vario is permanently showing Total-Energy Compensated Sink Rate.
If you are flying at a steady speed, this is identical to the speed you’re sinking towards the ground.
If you are accelerating/decelerating then the gauge compensates for that making the underlying sink rate easier to see.
# Cambridge Vario
The Cambridge Vario has 3 modes (toggle with hot-key/button assigned to “TOGGLE BEACON LIGHTS”):
* icon at 3-o-clock will be blank (cruise) or a circle-arrow (climb)
* Average at 6-o-clock will be:
– cruise: rolling average Netto
– climb: true climb average since entering climb mode.
* Needle and Audio will be:
– cruise: Netto
– climb: TE
In AUTO MODE the gauge will switch sensibly between the AUTO-CRUISE and AUTO-CLIMB modes, e.g. a variety of different situations will
cause the gauge to operate in AUTO-CLIMB mode (needle showing TE climb rate, AUDIO on TE, averager giving you the TRUE climb rate
since you entered this mode). For example, selecting flaps T1 or T2, flying below 70 knots in rising air will cause the
Cambridge vario to assume you are trying to thermal. Flying fast, or simply flying in a straight line without climbing, will cause
the vario to exit climb mode.
* icon at 3-o-clock will say “TE”
* Average at 6-o-clock will be rolling average TE
* Needle and Audio will be TE
* The vario will remain fixed in this mode, with no auto-switching
* icon at 3-o-clock will say “Net”
* Average at 6-o-clock will be rolling average Netto
* Needle and Audio will be Netto
* The vario will remain fixed in this mode, with no auto-switching
# General info
Power on/off (default Alt-B) should work as expected. The instruments should cope with ‘slew mode’ and ‘pause’ ok.
I have NOT yet programmed the Cambridge ‘true average’ to detect pause/slew yet.
There is a hot-key (whatever you have assigned to “TOGGLE CABIN LIGHTS” ) to bring up DEBUG DATA including glide ratio.
* ASI has (top) TRUE AIRSPEED (bottom) GROUND SPEED kph
* Nav has (bottom left) GLIDE RATIO
* WINTER has (bottom) TE m/s
* Cambridge has (bottom) Netto m/s.
The Netto is calibrated with the correct polar, so in STILL AIR if you’re flying properly (e.g. in the right flap, wheel up,
spoilers closed) it should read zero. Any difference is the sim flightmodel error or you are not flying in still air (easiest
check is the L/D in the Nav display).
MSFS gusts are not sensibly implemented currently, so you need to disable those or will have excessive jitter in the vario needles.
DG Flugzeugbau DG-808S v0.8.0
- animated pilot model (toggleable by click on seat)
- additional liveries
- cockpit reflection for canopy
- custom attitude indicator
- flight track for nav map
- precise aerodynamics
- panel light
- improved textures and materials
- custom water dump and aerobatic smoke effect
DG Flugzeugbau DG-808S v0.7.4TEST
– custom nav screen; two modes – classic “B21NAV” and “FSSOAR” (fake XCSoar, very unfinished)
– nav screen waypoint autoskip at distance less than 300m
– precise flaps/ailerons angles (affecting flight model behavior)
– controls effectiveness decreased
– custom cockpit sounds (wind, ballast dump, some switches)
– custom pilot model (not animated yet, exterior only)
– template livery “BLACK”; to make your own livery – copy textures and their json files (one json per texture) you want to edit into “textures.BLACK folder”, then update JSON of the whole aircraft by JSON Generator (only if new files was added)
– minor gears fixes (still no rotation animation)
3D Model 30%
Flight model 70%
Radio panel 0%
DG Flugzeugbau DG-808S v0.7.3TEST
- yawstring and slip ball animation improved
- some sounds added (several switches and open canopy wind)
- vario needles indication fixed
- TE/netto needle rotation smoothed
- Kohlsman setting for altimeter
- wings livery layout moved to DG808S_W texture
- vario and altimerer knobs/buttons textured
- positive vario tone with variable interval
- scroll actions removed from canopy handles to avoid accidental open/eject
DG Flugzeugbau DG-808S v0.7.2TEST
- missed polygons fixed
- pilot size decreased, changed to male
- advanced materials added, will take a long time until everything could look nice but some things improved already – like chrome cockpit details and brighter needles
- instruments units switch
- VR mouse pointer collision surface added into cockpit
- primitive ballast dump effect at speed more than 30kn (still looks like a fire, hope effects system will be improved soon)
DG Flugzeugbau DG-808S v0.7TEST
Model was converted into native format, so no more limitations with clickable switches, instruments, advanced materials.
What was improved:
– Gauge instruments textures replaced, cockpit and livery improved
– Original animations restored
– Clickable elements restored, some new added. Most levers can be triggered by a mouse wheel. Easter egg hidden somewhere, be the one who found it first :slight_smile:
– Flight model improved to fit real performance data
– tow release handle and winch/towplane switch work only in latest kinetic/albatross versions. you have to launch application and press connect button before flight, or nothing will happen.
– Water ballast:
before take off you can set amount of fuel in left and right wing tip tanks which will be used for the ballast dump valve only. You can set central tank fuel amount if you are using jet engine, once it will be out of fuel – engine will be turned off. When you need to loose some weight – before landing, or to get extra lift, open the valve. When pointer hovered on it – you will see tooltip with total weight of the liquid inside (let’s think it is a water).
Later sound effect will be added and, when smokes implemented, visual effect (probably even after next MSFS update). Hope it will work in multiplayer and in replays properly.
– poor geometry: low poly elements, missing polygons (like outside of canopy)
– no additional sounds (open canopy wind, switches etc.)
– no advanced materials (normals or PBR)
– game crash reported on attempt to restart flight, confirm if happened for you
– default nav display used, buttons squeezed because of unsupported aspect ratio
– unrealistic animation of yaw string
– single livery
Follow Touching Cloud Facebook page for updates announcements
DG Flugzeugbau DG-808S v0.6
- Installer no longer require FSX assets
- gauge file names shortened to avoid “Too long path name” Windows error (still may happen)
- wings flex modifier decreased twice
- spoilers effectiveness decreased twice
- sounds minor changes
- controls effectiveness and overall glider performance adjusted
- collision points adjusted, wingtip wheels added
- VR liveries added (to avoid crash to desktop in VR mode)
- Interior model fixes (to make it looks better in VR mode)
Screenshots by ANRI
DG Flugzeugbau DG-808S v0.5TEST
- default flaps value set to 0 deg
- flaps positions number increased to 7, handle animation issues fixed
- center of gravity values changed
- auto trim feature works now (Z key)
- overall flight model improvements
- speed indicator value replaced from TAS to IAS
DG Flugzeugbau DG-808S v0.4TEST
- engine fuel consumption in idle decreased 10 times (to 1l/h)
- fuel amount increased from 1 to 2 gallons
- flaps effectiveness adjusted
- barometer hundreds needle offset fixed
- battery state affect all digital gauges
- average climb (last 30 seconds) with arrows indication
- vario inop symbology hided
- total energy calculation (both varios show same value for now)
- vario tone linked with total energy sim variable
- Alt+A hotkey bind for vario tone mute
DG Flugzeugbau DG-808S v0.3TEST
- Flight model adjustments
- Vario sound samples changed
- Yawstring thickness increased from 2px to 3px
- Installer remove _CVT_ folder automatically
- Installer issue with not copying files when “Install” option selected fixed
DG Flugzeugbau DG-808S v0.2TEST
- Flight model adjustments
- Yaw string on canopy glass
DG Flugzeugbau DG-808S v0.1TEST
- AIR data import performed
- Flight model tuning
- Pseudo jet engine added with very low amount of fuel
- Asobo_VL3 sounds used
- Variometer sound tone (can’t be turned off yet)
- Working gauges (no clickable elements)
- Canopy transparency fixed