The Kamov Ka-10 (NATO reporting name Hat) is a Soviet single-seat observation helicopter that first flew in 1949.
Design and development
The Ka 10 was a development of Nikolay Kamov’s earlier Ka-8, which had been successful enough to allow Kamov to set up his own OKB (design bureau) in 1948. The Ka-10 made of similar layout to the Ka-8, with an open steel-tube structure carrying an engine, a pilot’s seat and two three-bladed coaxial rotors. It was larger, however, with a revised transmission and rotor hub design, and a new engine specially designed for the helicopter, the 41 kilowatts (55 hp) Ivchenko AI-4 flat-four.
The Ka-10 made its first flight in September 1949. Three more prototypes followed, which were evaluated by Soviet Naval Aviation. A Ka-10 was displayed at the 1950 Tushino Air Display, and one made the first landing by a Soviet helicopter on the deck of a ship on 7 December 1950.
In 1954, 12 of an improved version, the Ka-10M were built for the Maritime Border Troops. They had a twin tail rather than the single vertical fin of the Ka-10 and modified rotors and control systems.
MSFS Ka-10M special features
- semi-realistic flight model with native CFD simulation
- accurate weight and size
- multiple liveries
- fully animated pilot model (IK bones)
- kneel tablet with navigation and aircraft configuration
- voice assistant
- Crew: one
- Length: 3.70 m (12 ft 1.75 in) (fuselage length)
- Height: 2.5 m (8 ft 2.5 in)
- Empty weight: 249 kg (548 lb)
- Gross weight: 390 kg (860 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × UL260i , 71 kW (97 hp)
- Fuel amount: 33 liters (8.7 gal)
- Main rotor diameter: 2 × 6.12 m (20 ft 1 in)
- Main rotor area: 2 × 58.8 m2 (633 sq ft)
- Maximum speed: 120 km/h (74 mph, 65 kn)
- Range: 150 km (93 mi, 81 nm)
- Service ceiling: 2,000 m (3,300 ft)